Wednesday 20 November 2013

Another Eureka

Another Eurka to share.  As I am interested in difference between education and training, which is a very important topic to me as I believe without defending these  two different activity properly, I cannot reach to the answer I am looking for. So far, I categorise education as an activity with a purpose or reasoning behind, without these, teaching can not be categorise as an education, to me. I categorise them as a training.

And,  I have sadly realised a fact; training is to control people, not to educate people. If there are hierarchy in between students and teacher,I think that is a training; Trainer and trainee. Students do gain skills from it,  but whoever training gain all the advantage as the system has been created to work well for trainers, to make trainers life easier; Activity is not happening from students point of view.

"Education is not learning the fact, but training the mind to think",
This is a quote from Einstein.
I agree with him, and if that is true, training does opposite to us; makes us not to think, just to re-act to commands.

 "A machine is anything that reduces human effort and reduces time" .
This was another quote from a film "3 Idiots", a student explaining the definition of machine.
I fear that nowadays, training and education mixed up, as training turns us into a machine, to be used by trainers. 

This is my inquiry and arguing point. 

This is same as education in school and how the system of Ballet world functions. 

Any ways, my eureka is based on these arguments above.
I have been wondering why some dancers have great physique and talent, but look so boring on stage. They have all the right essence, talents and factors to look great and dance well. So, why is that? And, on the other day, suddenly I understood why. The reasons are the matter of understanding and intelligence. These dancers are moving their body in a right way, dancing the choreography correctly. However, that was it. There are no reason or purpose why they are doing what they, and it shows on stage.

I ever knew what was the difference between a singer and singer who called as an artist.

I ever understood what is the difference between a dancer and dancer who known as an artist.

But, I do now! Eureka moment! Being an artist is to understand the meaning of lyrics or choreography, and some how translate and transmit the meaning through our body to public. That does not come from just a training. Training might provide a solid technique to students. However, without knowing how to use them, what is the point? Without proper education, we are just a machine.
Technique is there to express our senses. However, if the basket is empty, there are nothing to give.

ON the other day, my colleague told me that my movements in my solo were so clear and  looked like movements had a meaning.  It was an interesting comment to me, as my solo was an abstract piece. There were no story behind or no character I had needed to be on stage. But, some how he felt the meaning through my performance.When we dance a story ballet, we try to bring the characters through the choreography. But, it is not easy even  if we perform simple story and clear characters. So, his comment was very interesting to me, as there were no menaning behind when it choreographed as it was an abstract piece. I did not have any clear, strong message for audience when entered on stage. I was just having a good time on stage with audience.

His comment made me smile and also made me think even more about the meaning of performance...

No comments:

Post a Comment