Monday 16 April 2012

My thoughts of 5b

I have blogged my company`s regulations at 5b.
As I mentioned most of my company`s code of conducts are common sense, however, some of the regulations confuse me.

For example, section 8; company dancers should act as a role model to students. The other day, some of the company members has been warned from the director not to smoke if students are around; smoking at the interval will give wrong message and impression to students.

I totally see where director`s concern comes from. It is not good for the company reputation. However, this wrong message and impression confused me.
Yes, people should not smoke in front of young students, does not have to be a dancer to know this.
So, when dancers are with students, does company request us to be some one who we are not?
I remember, when I was young I had a school performance, and I saw the guest dancers having a smoke out side during the interval. It did not shock me, also that fact did not necessarily wanted to copy them.
Only thing I thought was, some dancers need to smoke during the interval, that was all.
As I am discussing in my SIG on Linkedinn;  I do understand importantness of being a role model in front of students. However, I think we also send a false and fake message to students for being a image of dancer which people expect dancers to be. 
The other day, students and parents asked us about how and what`s kind of food professional dancers eat. We answered appropriately, we told them dancers eat sensibly and eat healthy balanced meals. Later on, we have met the parents and students on the street as we are eating chips, kebabs and pizzas! It was an awkward moment.
Students are young, but not stupid. I think students know more than we assume.
So, I think we need to act as a good adult to protect them. However, it is good for students to know what professional dancers like, if students ask us.

Also about section 14, about being open minded. I understand as dancers expected to do our best when choreographers come.
However, this can be tricky. Because, a while ago at my previous company, we had a choreographer came and requested us dancers to be naked at the workshop for the piece. After the choreographer asked us, there were a long silence. And, no one took clothes off. The choreographer got annoyed and told us, we are silly for not being naked and shame on us. But, really?
I would do my best at the workshops to learn some thing new to improve my self.
I do my best for myself.  I have a contract with my company and there are company`s code of conduct, however, I have not sold my soul to company.

Company had a meeting the other day with all the dancers to make sure every one understand the regulations. I thought it was a wise thing to do, as I have learned from pilot of survey; people read same thing, however, every one understand individually. So, it was a useful way to avoid any misunderstanding and confusion.


No comments:

Post a Comment