Tuesday 17 April 2012

5c

Process of going through task 5a and 5b made me realise of the gap between my assumption of code of conduct in my working place and what company expect from us dancers.
I have researched about code of conduct for dancers, then I came down to a conclusion.

I understand our Code of conduct as a guide line.

Employers and workers need to follow the code of conduct at work place, to make all employees work as smooth as possible, so companies can receive maximum benefits from workers and also to avoid the problems.
Problems take time to solve, time is money, therefore, more problems, more time to loose; the organisation loose more money if there are problems which company needs to sort out.


Therefore, if dancers break the code of conduct at work, dancers will get some kind of consequence. However, the regulation is not unbreakable; as some people made these regulations up, therefore  this can be changed any time company wanted to! Because of that reason, I am not going to take it too seriously. As I mentioned on my previous blog, regulation changes where ever we go, so I believe it is important to have a flexible mind and sense of adaptation.
As I mentioned, code of conduct of working place for dancers should be faire and equal which ever companies dancers work for. However, unfortunately the fact is not simple.
Again, this equal and faire policy can be tricky.
Because, we define equal and faire is differently. An example, my company pays same amount of salary to all the dancers, equal, right? therefore, the company does not provide a hierarchy system for dancers; equal and faire policy. However, is it really? Some the members are working for the company over five years and always dance main role, as these dancers are good, therefore they have higher risk of injury. And, some of the members are teenagers and never worked as a professional, so they have no idea what is going on. However, all the dancers provide same salaries.
However, regulations are individual by each companies, and this is my company`s policy, so I accept that. I do not have a any problem with the company policy, it just made me wonder.


  Also, I know some small dance companies take advantage of dancers, one in five dancers and choreographers is self-employed; most employment is part-time work    without important benefits like health care, sick leave and retirement. Most dance artists must hold secondary jobs in order to manage the uncertainty and risk of a dance career
( Reader 5 Professional Ethics )
As dancers are disparates for a job, and especially dance students often have financial supports from their parents. Fortunately, I have not worked with these companies before, however I heard a lot of bad thing about them. For example, dancers wages are under minimum equality salary.
I thought clearly that is illegal, so I have used my professional network to discussed about this fact. And, we came to a conclusion; it is both dancers and companies responsibility. It is terrible fact that, small dance companies take advantages of dancers, however, dancers are also aware of the limits of what these companies can provide for dancers. These small companies are not forcing to dancers to work, end of the day dancers make their own choices. I wonder, what is the code of conduct of these companies, I am interested in comparing the regulation to find the difference of each dance companies.




The example of Kevin Carter from reader 5 Professional Ethics made me think about our obsession for career and ethics as a human.
Kevin Carter did what he needed to do as a professional photographer when he capture the famous photograph. He probably just wanted to take some great pictures as all other photographers do. And, he did an amazing job and he received the award. However, later on he started to realise he was probably obsessed about his profession and lost the priority of human right.
Some times the obsession for our career leads us to wrong direction.
So, I would like to believe that, code of conducts are there to prevent these sad incidents too.
However, I actually do not see any policy to prevent incidents like above, it is almost opposite.

For example, if you are in a big dance company and there are so many competitions and most of dancers always feel under the pressure to survive.

Then, there is a question.
If, you see your colleague is struggling by injury or private matters, how do you feel? and what would you do?
The circumstance is extreme, you are desperately want to get the higher position which you have been working hard for a while at your work place or want to be in the cast of the new production.

1, Yey! Less competition!

2, We need to support our colleague

or

3, I do care about my colleague, but  I am running late for reheasal, I do not want to break the reulation because that effect my reputation, therefore effect my career as a dancer in company

Honestly, when I was in the situation I use to feel 1, because I was young. I was obsessed by the reputation and I wanted to prove to the others that I am good, and tried hard to be more than I was.
However, I think slightly different now. I understand the consequence and my experience shows me a bigger picture. I feel like nothing is worth doing it if we know our action clearly upset some one. I finally realised success is an instant illusion. If, people do not benefit from my success or if my success do not make people happy, then, that is not a success.

I see people who need a help on street before rehearsal and class, I will choose to be late and help the people who need help.
I believe, we need to be a decent person first. There are always a regulations where ever we work,
But, I have learned from the process of investigating section 5s that, most important thing is to think and value by our own major, not just relying on code of conduct.

No comments:

Post a Comment