Friday 13 April 2012

5a code of conduct

I have been working as a professional dancer for six years.
So, I believe I know basic code of conduct at my working place.
However, I have worked at several ballet companies; big one and small ones, also different countries.
What I found interesting was, I do same profession where ever I go, but code of conduct changes with country and by company!
I worked in Serbia`s national theatre of ballet, which employs over seventy dancers. The organisation was big enough that, employers do not remember each other’s name. Especially costume people had to work for Opera, Ballet and Drama, so they clearly had no idea who is who in Ballet. Costume people use to call me Bruce Lee. All of my costume`s name tag was typed Bruce Lee, Is it ethical? Well, probably not in the UK. 
Also, smoking in public place was very common too. Dancers use to smoke in a lift! Also, pianists smoke while they are playing for class and rehearsals! Is it ethical? Probably is in Serbia!
However, rest of the companies I worked and working for seem quite normal.
Ross Dunning mentioned about registering ourselves in morning on his blog, but all the companies I worked I never signed in and out. Usually people from the office come and check during the morning class to resister.

I understand code of conduct as mainly as common sense.
So, I believe my cod of conduct as a dancer will be like these?

Dancers need to be punctual for rehearsals and morning class.

Ware appropriate clothe during class and rehearsal

Do not bring private matter in to work.

If dancers need days off from work by being ill or injured, dancers need to show a proof from doctor.

Avoid physical contact with children during the workshops.

Equal opportunity policy.

Act with respect to costume people, to the technicians and the driver.


No comments:

Post a Comment