Saturday 19 November 2011

Outcome to Income

Thanks to the people who read my previous blog and commented on it.

Since then, I brought my previous blog topic to my mentor to discuss.
My mentor is my pilates instructor, he use to be a professional dancer.

We exchanged the opinion and discussed about it.
One of the statements he made it clear to me was,  Dancers should ever loose the 

aesthetic point of view. I totally agreed with him about it base on my opinion which I wrote on my previous blog.


Also, we discussed about the use of mirror too.

So, I recorded my self doing morning class the other day!
I watched it and wrote down all the corrections which I need to improve? Well, improve might not be a right word, only because there are only WRITE or WRONG movements in dance. So, I guess I can not improve wrong movement. So, I say ELIMINATE the movement and replace, rewrite  with the new movement. I believe every time I repeat and go through that process the quality of the movement improve and the quality gets closer what I am aiming for. This process is kind of similar to scientists experiment using tools in laboratory, again and again till they find out whatever they are looking for.
Us, Dancers,  experience the movements using our body, again and again till we get the right movements.
And, I have just remembered that, this process is very much like kolb`s learning cycle!

I have realised few things by the process of watching and analysing my self on the video.

There are some things I can correct quite easily; I could find the solution instantly. And some things I still have no idea how to correct :(

One of the things I noticed was, if movements are simple, most likely the solution will be simple too.

For example;  Grand battmentsA kicking movement of the working leg (i.e. the leg that is performing a technique).Battements are usually executed in front (en avant or à la quatrieme devant), to the side (à la seconde) or back (en arrière or à la quatrieme derrière).http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_ballet#G

Sounds simple, it is simple! However, simple does not mean easy.
Anyway, I saw my self doing Grand Battements to the back on the video. The picture below.

If, people are not familiar with Ballet, probably do not notice.
However, I am arching the upper body sticking out my ribs, opening the hip completely and shortening the left side of the body.

Supposed to look like this; the picture below. Well, that is a position, so slightly different but, similar things.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/arabesque%20royal%20ballet/cheerbabe9139/Ballet%20Dancers/Roberta%20Marquez%20Royal%20Ballet/arabesque_Roberta_Marquez.jpg

These were easy to correct. I almost immediately collected my self, because the movement is quite straight forward and simple.

However, something like turning is harder to correct. Because the movement is more complicated; mixed elements of few ballet movements, and the coordination is necessary.
I realised this When Mina commented on my SIG on Facebook. Mina gave me an advise of improving the coordination of turning. Thanks Mina!

Well, however, some thing like coordination is not simple and there are no instant solution for it. This is a difficult part :( I think this is the key to self coaching and this devides being a good self coach to your self or not; Knowing the problems and Knowing the solution of the problems are two totally different things.
It is same as I wrote on my previous blog about understanding of WHAT is happening and understanding of WHY it is happening is different.

I just need to dig deeper my knowledge and be more aware of my proprioception, experience which I have learned from the past, and try to apply them. Or, maybe I need completely different approach to it?

1 comment:

  1. Your recent posts made me think a lot about 'self-improvement'!
    Regarding the pirouette coordination, I just meant it as an example of how I benefited from filming and watching myself (> <; I agree with you that some movements are more complicated than others. I always try to focus on maximum two corrections at once, to avoid over-thinking. (eg: preparation plie for pirouette endehors: 1.keep pelvis vertical to the floor, and 2.keep most of the weight on my front leg/ pirouette: 1.keep strong round arms, and 2.emphasize the spotting). It is because I found these corrections naturally bring out the other corrections to happen(eg: my hips will not be twisted if I keep my pelvis vertical to the floor/ I cannot tuck my chin if I really spot). I am always experimenting to find a 'GOLD correction/ways of thinking' that automatically corrects everything.
    It often comes from colleagues as well as teachers, and last but not least, by watching dancers you look up to. 'She looks like she spots this way, I shall try if it works for me...'. I now consciously use kolb's learning cycle; starting from observation, analysis, experiment...
    I enjoy the whole process of improving dance techniques.
    1.Picking out/realising a problem,
    2.analysing what is going wrong and why,
    3.finding a correction that works for me, and 4. practice it until it feels natural (For me, it takes two weeks).

    ReplyDelete