Friday 30 August 2013

Teacher or Role Model? Words to explain or Example to inspire?

I have analysed my way of teaching on my previous blog.
The question is, does it really work?

The answer is Yes, and No.

I was helping a student the other day. He was struggling with a step and I could see what the problem was straight away. The problem was he could also see the problem; The problem was very simple, but the solution was not. So, we tried all of my tactics. But, none of them worked. I was a bit disappointed in my self.
So, next day, I actually did the step by hoping to find out the solution for him. I did not have problem with the step as I am professional and I had same problem a long time ago.
I was thinking and physically trying to work out the right solution for him.
Then, I have noticed he was watching me practice the step. And, when I looked at him trying the step, he was doing much better. His bad habit was fading away!
However, his habit came back slowly, and by the time end of the session, he was again fighting with the step.

I have learned from this experience that, demonstration clearly worked better than explain by words for him.

In Japan, we have famous saying "百聞は一見に如かず";one eye witness is better than hundred words. He has learned more from me as being a practitioner, not as being a teacher.
However, the problem was the effect did not last long time; it was a good solution, but not perfect.
Dr W. Wenger explains this phenomenon as "Fade out effect".  When we learn new skills it lasts for fifteen mins, then after they fade out slowly. Physically, mentally. That is why ballet lessons are based on repetition.

From this experience, I have strongly realised the importantness of being able to demonstrate when it needs to be required as a teacher.
I guess students hear more from our attitude and action, rather than words. And, people say Action speaks louder... very true.



No comments:

Post a Comment