Wednesday 28 August 2013

Summer school 2.3 Analysing the process

The second week of summer school gave me another opportunity to think about my way of teaching.

I analysed my coaching system by teaching and supporting students in second week.

1, Observe and diagnose the students to find the problem 
2, Think of all the possible solution to solve the problem, build a strategy
3, Try and error of the strategies of mine, and also discuss with the students to find out what is most suitable solution for them 


1, Observe and diagnose the problem

This process contains observing student's mental and physical condition to work out what exactly causing the  problem. I usually divide in three section

1, Technical problem; most common problem. 

Solution; I tried to find what is causing the problem. And, I ask them question how they feel about the step, and why they think the problem is happening, and ask them what is suitable solution to them.
In this process, usually students started to see and feel what is wrong and what is causing the problem.
If, they struggle still, I give my opinion. But, I usually keep my opinion till they really need my help. There are my reasons of my action.
1, They need to understand them selves, which means they constantly need to be aware of what is going on inside of them selves, physically, mentally. As I know from the experience that no can really help us, and our selves are the best coach to us.
I also think it is important for students to think and guess by using their own brain and body to explore and experience. And, that is supposed the most fun part of learning! Well, at least to me.
This problem can be solved very easily and instantly, if only students are ready in this stage.
If, students are not physically, mentally ready to complete the steps, I just try to encourage them and tell them how good they are doing by thing to archive some thing difficult or too advance for them.

2, Physical problem; problem possibly comes from the students physical limits, or if students have physical pain  that can restrict their movements, and that can cause difficulty in dance

Solution; If, students physical limits are causing the problem, I analyse and suggest different way of executing the step, as these physical limits cause injuries in the process. And they need to be told by teachers to prevent the physical damage to minimum. However, from my experience, these problems occur to hard working students, who most likely not to listen or take my advice till they get hurt them selves; till they make own mistakes and learn from it. As I guess that is only way.

3, Physiological problem; it often comes from previous experience of failure, which possibly contains physical pain or sometimes students experience the feeling of embarrassment, that can cause mental pain. These experience occurs the feeling of fear, embarrassment, all the negative feelings, and that effect massively physically to interrupt and hesitate students  from trying again or trying new steps.

Solution; This can be difficult, as I need to talk to the students properly, and often I do not have time just for one student, as I supposed to teach every one in class. However, when I given time to solve the problem, I usually try to take the students focus for some thing else. For example, if they are scared of falling to the floor, I ask them to focus and feel the through the feet, or ask them to focus on feeling their tongue while they are doing the step. Also, making them sing a song can work as they need to focus on singing and to use the different part of brain. I  guess it is just try and error for this problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment