Thursday 7 February 2013

After thoughts of assessment


One of the main facts I have noticed after the assessment was; I need to strength their mentality as well as physical side.
I was focusing on their practical side and I completely forgot to support their mental side.
I have realised this problem by witnessing them having a nervous break down at the assessment, and that was one of the avoidable mistakes.

Performers can only learn via experience. And, I believe my advantage as a teacher is my professional experience. So I can provide more than what dance text books can teach them. I also try to approach differently. However, these mistakes are so common to professionals, therefore I did not even consider discussing with my students. That was totally my fault.
Us, professionals know how to cover the mistakes and sudden change of situation on stage. These come from the experience and mental preparation.
My students did not have enough stage experience for it. And, i did not have enough teaching experience to support them correctly.

More I teach, more I realise how much I do not know my profession. And, some times that worry, and up set me.
To improve as a teacher, and prevent making mistakes as a teacher, I have asked my friend, who is a teacher too, to come and observe my lessons today.
I wonder what comments I will receive later.
To make my self a better teacher, I need to know my self better for every one.

4 comments:

  1. Really valuable remarks here Diasuke - I just had a teaching observation on Friday and just like our inquiries - it uses research methods to give us feedback and suggestions for improvement. The mental side is important, coping for 'sensitive souls' is part of the package. Does this relate to your inquiry questions?

    You talk about experience - can you be more specific about his - can you use some of the theories about experience to explain what you mean by experience - this is the critical aspect that help to focus what you are saying. I think I understand what you mean but because you have certain things in mind, good to clarify and explain in order to make sure your audience is clear about what you are saying. So is it Kolb? Or do you have specific dance teaching theory in mind when you think about experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment.
      Your comment made me think that fact; I need to clear my questions and go deeper. It is like your " Fishy story with picture";D I need to choose fishes carefully.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Hello Daisuke
    I completed my BAPP degree course and graduated last month and hope you don't mind a comment from me.

    At first I found it difficult to accept feed back from other people observing my teaching, but it is one of the ways to start improving my teaching style. I believe we should continue improving, evolving and developing ourselves . It's like technology, think back five years and what technological products there were and how they've improved e.g. mobile phones, lap tops, e readers or kindles, tom toms and GPS. What I'm saying is use this BAPP course to guide you to improve yourself and your teaching techniques. This has a ripple effect and you will get to understand your students need.
    It is also good to discuss some of your past experiences with your students, as they like to hear about your mistakes on stage and how you over came them.
    So don't beat yourself up as you have taken the first step to realising what may be deficient about your teaching technique.
    I look forward to reading about your professional inquiry.

    Best wishes
    Corinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Corinda.
      Thank you for your comment.
      I really liked and agree with your example learning process can be like technology. Keep on up dates our selves.
      Find faults, and things we can up grade in our selves, and work on it.

      Do you know any good ways to improve our selves as a teacher, as a person, Corinda?

      It is so great to hear different opinions and suggestions.

      Thank you.

      Delete