Monday 5 March 2012

Observation

I was observing my company`s workshop the other day.
Then, I realised a strange habit, relation about how teacher pass on their knowledge to the others.

It was during the ballet workshop. The person who lead the workshop told the students to use their `core muscle` and `inner muscle`  to stabilize them selves, as he pointed out his stomach.
Also, described to the students these muscle are important for core stability.

Then, suddenly I realised that is what our company`s teacher tells us often.

Our teacher uses the words; inner, core muscle quite often like he explained to the students.
Also, our teacher explains us dancers how important to feel them and use them right.
Then, I remembered that, our company teachers often use phrases like `My teacher use to teach me  blah blah` or
` That is how I taught at the school when I was young!!!!` etc, etc.....

Then I realised, my colleague is teaching exactly like our teachers....
\then I wonder, do my teachers really completely understand what they are saying?  How about my colleague? Does my colleague really understand about how to activate inner muscles?
Because I don't.

Do we explain things to the students often by using the similar ways to how our teachers teach us? Or do we use almost exactly same ways to explain things to next generation?
Why do we do it? Is it because we agree with what our teachers teach us? or we just copy how our teacher teach without realising? is it because it is easy to just copy or mimic?
Do we teach like our teachers did to us?
Are we even aware of it?

And, Most importantly,  Is it good for others to teach as we taught by our teachers?


By observing my colleagues taking the workshop, I have noticed  the way we teach is based on how we taught or the way our teachers taught us effect how we teach others.
I have no doubt about it, as I saw the way  my colleagues teach, also the way I teach has definitely effected by the way my teachers teach me.
However, I do not think most of us are aware of it. By observing the workshop made me think, and I teach like my teachers do or did to me. Which I did not notice till I wrote this journal!

And, I am not sure it is good or bad to teach other as we taught.
However,  if we teach others we all need to think what we taught, and go through our body to digest and understand truly what we really know and what really our teachers wanted to tell us. Other wise, we become a parrot; there are no meaning or understanding in what we are saying to the others. If, teachers do not understand about what really they know, there are no chance for students to improve.
Doctors tell us totally different ways to prevent illness every few years.
Long time ago, it is good to have a cold bath when we caught a cold, but doctors tell us not to have a cold bath when we have a cold, because it is bad for us! But, they are changing their mind because they are researching and trying to find the best way to find the cure for people.
I personally think,  us teachers need to have a same attitude toward our profession.
There are a lot of text books and method how to teach dance to people. and, a lot of teachers blindly follow it. The brand of the methods blind teachers.  But, we must ask our selves, if people do not improve, what is the point? 
What I want to say is; Most important thing is to help people to dance, not blindly follow the methods or relay  on how our teachers taught us. I think we all need to ask our selves again; is the way we teach the best way to bring people's potential? I especially need to ask my self every day.

Anyway, then why lots of us become a parrot when we teach without realising? I guess, in that way we do not have to re think or check how much we really understand about our profession. It is painful to re think and realise how much we do not really know. Ignorance is bliss.

At last,  what is Inner muscle? I did my own research to find an distinct answer.

Us, all human have muscles. Therefore, we have inner muscles.
Well, cut the story short. Medically, there are no such muscles call inner muscles, as there are no distinct line between inner and outer.
So, the word inner muscle is just a made up word for people who do not know much about the body.

4 comments:

  1. Please excuse me for reusing my comment on your post 'The Question'.
    I imagine that a teacher needs a flexible mind to accept new ideas and be open to changes, as well as the awareness to be in tune with the latest styles and teaching methods.
    'This is how I learnt to do this step' could be beneficial or harmful depending on circumstances, because ballet has two faces; it has the tradition that needs to be passed on through generations, but is a live art that is constantly changing.
    As long as the teacher has the passion to grow and improve the students (they should offer this passionate help only if the students think and work for themselves), has a clear plan and structure to class, and has an 'open eye' towards the dance world 'now', I guess they have the right to criticize(in a positive way).
    Sorry for my arrogant comment, I have no experience of teaching or dancing professionally.
    'Use your core muscles','Use your inner thighs','Pull up' are the few corrections that are 'always right' in ballet classes, so they are safe to say out loud. However, tips of how it feels like to use them or how it looks like when you do use them could only be given by the teacher who understand and benefit from it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Mina.

    Thank you for your comment.
    I think you are absolutely right about ballet has got two sides; traditional legacy side and latest style and latest, advanced technique side.
    As you mentioned, I should ever forget the traditional side of it. I try and struggle to pass on the tradition in most advanced and efficient way, because, as myself as a dancer, there are so many things I need to correct to be able to guide students to the right direction.
    I always think ballet as the changing same.

    These safe words;as you mentioned on your comments, I found it very irresponsible. Every time teachers use these words, I feel like not again! I would like to be described HOW. Some teachers use these MAGIC words and they think their job is done, and teachers are wondering why students do not get it. That is my point of view as a dancer, so, when I teach, I would like to do my best summon these feeling to students, by using examples, demonstrate or physically correct them.
    however, as you said, we can all take horses to a river, but we can not make them drink, unless if they want to!

    By the way Mina, your comment was not arrogance at all, you are so right.

    I have recently taken a workshop, and the teacher gave us a comment, she told us ' Try not to focus on improving the students standards. Focus on improve our selves as a practitioner, teacher, and as a person, If we all do that, automatically students standers will improve '
    To me, it made a lot of sense. So, I need to learn more to deepen my understand, so I can share that with others.

    Thank you Mina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is really interesting as I have come across this in my teaching before. When observing teachers you do find they all say the same thing and half the time the pupil doesn't know what they mean. I am teaching now and when people ask me why am I doing this move I explain to them what muscles they are using. They all suggested I explain more often as it helps them with the move and they are then using the CORRECT muscle for the movement.
    I also find intriguing your comment on Should we teach if we are being taught? my final project is on What is needed for a dance teacher from a Students perspective... I would really like it if you to complete it as I feel you have a good insight on this topic.


    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3M9RBCV Your welcome to pass this on to anyone you feel my be of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sonal.

    Thank you for your comment.

    As you mentioned, I also find a lot of teachers repeats these safe words and expect a lot from students.

    I have completed your Survey.

    ReplyDelete