Saturday 8 March 2014

What is education? What is a healthy way to guide the students?


Through my university work, I have found some contradiction in education in ballet. As ballet is one of the oldest form of dance. Therefore, it contains so many strict rules and traditions. However, as I developed my research I have noticed these strict rules and even the tradition change with time and place. And, I have even noticed a fact teeters change these rules and tradition to suits them: use it to control the students. Same as discipline. Teachers and parents use the word to control the children to suit their adult life style.

However, through the experience of inspired the young boy, I have realised there is a better way in education, better than raising the voice or forcing them to fit in the rules which has created by the adults. This education and discipline system is exactly same as how powerful people run the world. Adults, people with power make the rules to gain the benefits from weak people and try control them: kids. End of the day it is just adults’ ego against kids’ ego. Because the rules adults create and even the educational system changes with time and place. And adults is the only one who has power to mess around the system. Every people have different opinions. S,  every one try to change the rules to suits them, therefore they can gain maximum benefits from the system they create.

Once I have realised this fact, I started to wonder what education is all about? I have expressed in my essay for my degree that instead of forcing young people to learn, focus on engaging with the students and use more of Socrates method to guide them to the individual answers they are looking for.  For a while I was happy with the theory I came up with my study and research. However, one day I was watching Darren Brown’s tv program and I have realised how powerful and effective his NLP manipulation technique is to us people. I was especially surprised about how sattle his manipulation technique was. The participant had no idea what was going on. And, when I noticed the similarity in this method to Socrates method, I was shocked.  
Neuro Linguistic Programming, known as NLP. This method’s original idea developed from communication, psychology and personal development. However, it is known as a manipulating technique these days. I found NLP method similar to Socrates method. This means I use to believe education is depend on how well adults can manipulate the students to believe what teachers are saying. So, is education all about how to imprint teachers thought in to the students mind? This really does not sound right. But, then, what is education? What is teachers doing to the students? What exactly is teacher's job? Is it our job to mind control or brain wash the students to put our ideas in their head?

These new questions are my new begging and new challenge as a teacher in dance. It is difficult to teach the things which changes with time and place. So myself as a practitioner, I should never stop looking the better way of teaching and the answer to these questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment