Saturday 1 March 2014

End of my module, yet...

After my oral presentation, I have finished my BAPP course! I did my presentation towards the end of the session. And it was great to see other students' presentation. They all prepared well and as they finish their presentation one by one, I have started to realise how oral presentation should of been done; mine was not great compare to the other students' presentation.

It is always very ironic that I deepen my understanding towards my previous module when I finish them. I have learned how oral presentation needs to be done, after the presentation. It seems like exams and courses are to set to deepen my own understanding, rather than aiming for high marks, which I do not even know how to get high marks!

Anyway, the reason I am updating my blog is not for my module, as I have finished so there is no reasons for me to carry on up dating it. But, there is something I have understood about my inquiry.
I have mentioned Socrates method is a very good way to guide the students in education. And, yes, I still believe it is true. However, as I am reading lots of books(it is my most favourite thing!) I have realised something and as I reported on my inquiry the importance of output, I must express my opinion and findings. I have a strange feeling that Socrates method was created to manipulate people to believe that Socrates was right at the time. And, there is no doubt how effective Socrates method is to GUIDE people. It is every where, when parents try to stop the kids from marrying with a stranger. Wife explains how important to save the money for the future. It happens every where in sales business, also famous Darren Brown's famous manipulating skill call NLP; Neuro-Linguistic Programming. I personally think this is the modern version of Socrates method. I guess Socrates use to use his method as today's NLP.

I have created my professional artefact and also introduced Socrates method on my essay both. However, now I think about this method in education. It is a great method but end of the day, it is just a way to imprint adults' opinion and view. So, what is education? What is a most healthy non manipulating way to build one' own intelligence. Is education just a beauty of manipulation? We often encourage kids' progression as long as adults benefits from it. We also praise them as a part of growing up process. But when kids do what adults do not want them to do or when kids' action make adults' life harder, we tell them off and make sure they will not repeat it again. One of the book I am reading at the moment, it says "Sales is an art form of manipulation to satisfy the customer". So, is it same as education?

My mistake as a dancer was I have improved all of dance technique, including posture, with my habits. So, I have realised that the reason why ballet and martial arts methods have strict rules and position. They have these to erase habits. So, my aim as a teacher is do my best to vanish students' physical and mental bad habits. However, rules are created to be broken in a same time. But that is up to students when they want to or when they decide to. As a dancer, I have understood the importance of breaking the rule and satisfy the audience by entertaining them. As a dancer that was fine, but as a ballet dancer, we need to have a strong ability to go back to the shape of position and rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment