Tuesday 29 March 2011

3a Current Network

When I think of my current networks, I can roughly divide them to two categories;

1, My surrounding; The network of people.

I found this image on google web site. This is my image of people network.
When I say my current network of people, it starts from colleagues I work with at my current company, my close friends, my old school teachers, old school mates, ex-colleagues, people who come to see our performance. The dancers, teachers and directors I meet when I do class or auditions at different companies.
However, to engage with the professional network and to keep the information up dated, I especially find it very useful to talk to the dancers who meet at auditions. I try to talk to the dancers who comes to the audition of the company I work for. Because their informations are often much more fresh and row than what I hear or see on the internet. And, also often they know some informations that dance companies have not up dated yet, an example; one of the dance companies were advertising for an audition. However, the dancer who came to my current company`s audition told me that, he went to the audition which has advertised as vacancy available, and after the audition he got told that they already got some one in the vacancy position. So, things like that, if we have the right informations, we can save the time, money and avoid the stress and hustle.
Also, my old dance teachers gave me job vacancy informations very often and I got job through them quite a lot.
I also have just finished touring of Romeo and Juliet last week for two months. I got that job from my old school friend! He recommended me to the director of the production. And, also the director asked me for another male dancer, so I recommended my colleague! That was a very good example of people network.

2, Technological network by Web 2.0.

My main tools of technological network is computers and mobile phones.
I engage my professional network by mainly e-mail, Linked in and facebook website.
This is my image of technological network look like.
Sharing the informations which is in our mind.

http://www.123rf.com/photo_4249758_human-network.html
Web 2.0 changed a lot of the way network worked before. Things use to be the only one way, however web 2.0 introduced us two way communication on the web; giving out the informations and also receiving them in same time. Especially some thing like our BAPP bogs are a great example. We constantly discover, learn, find new things and swap the informations and opinion on the blog.
It is so handy to have these tools to access to people. I can swap some informations with some one who lives opposite side of this planet timelessly! Without these tools I would of lost contact with my many friends and also would missed so much job opportunities.

My company`s ballet mistress, she is a good practitioner of professional networking. She always checks her mail, check her web sites and facebook. Plan things in advance and talk to lots of people very openly. That is what I have to do more to improve my professional network.
I also think `a business card` is a good tool to have. With my dance picture on it, like a small C.V. and much more handy to carry and also to receive.
I also need to create my own web site to develop my network, so that will provide more opportunities to people to access my information.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Daisuke - yes, technology can be useful in developing and maintaining networks. And as you mention there are real networks as well as virtual. Have you looked at some of the concepts of professional networking and see how they apply to your professional networks. The professional networking reader will get you started on this - it's available from the Libguides site. Regards ...

    ReplyDelete